Frequently Asked Questions 
(Special section below for under 18 years old)

Q: Do you only teach teenagers?
A: No. I train teens, adults, and seniors, including students with various physical or emotional challenges such as deafness, partial paralysis, and those with driving related fears.   

Q: What type of training can I expect during my sessions?
A: Your training sessions (including travel outside of SCV) offers street smart defensive driving everywhere from busy traffic streets to freeways and parking lots. Parallel parking and drive test preparation are also offered, and I always make my vehicle available for the actual drive test, because I have faith in the level of skill achieved by my students.      

Q: Are my training sessions private?
A: You will always receive individual private 2-hour training sessions by me personally. I never place you in group training with other students at a time and never give you different instructors.

Q: How does the payment process work?
A: All expenses are included in the cost of training and you are never required to pay in advance.

FAQ for under 18 years old

Q. How long must I keep my learner's permit before being allowed to attempt the driving test 18?
A. You must maintain your learner's permit for a minimum of 6 months or until you turn 18.

Q. How old must I be to apply for a learner's permit to begin driving?
A. Minimum age is 15 1/2 years old. 

Q. What are the restrictions or provisions put on my learner's permit?
A. You must drive with a licensed California driver 25 years of age or older. You must have your parents' permission to apply for a permit. Any alcohol in your system will result in permit suspension. Possession of weapons, dropping out of school, or being convicted of vandalism or graffiti will result in a license suspension.

Q. When I go to the DMV to apply for my learner's permit, what do I need to take with me?
A. Application signed by your parents, a fee (cash or check), your social security number, a certified copy of your birth certificate, along with proof of completion of the driver’s education course. 

Q. Does my Mom or Dad have to go with me to the DMV when I apply for a permit?
A. No, if your parents sign your application form you may apply without them.

Q. What type of test does the DMV require you to take to get your learner's permit?
A. A written test (you may miss no more than 8), plus two vision tests. If you do miss more than 8, you must wait one week before taking another test.

Q. Is it possible to obtain a learner's permit without taking a driver education class?
A. You may apply for a learner's permit at the age of 17 1/2, but you will not be issued a license until you either take a driver education course or turn 18 years of age.

Q. Do I have to apply for my learner's permit at the DMV closest to my house?
A. You may apply for a learner's permit at any DMV in the State of California.

Q. What's the best source of study material to prepare for the learner's permit test?
A. California Driver Handbook available at your local DMV office and the on-line “Samples of Driver Written Tests” posted on the California DMV website.

​Q. When I obtain my learner's permit, is it legal for me to begin driving right away?
A. Before driving, you must first take one driving lesson with a professional driving instructor who signs your permit. This lesson validates your permit.

Q. Do my parents/guardian(s) always have to be with me when I drive?
A. You may drive with anyone who is 25 years of age or older, with a valid California license only with your parents' permission.

Q. How long is my learner's permit good for?
A. One year.

Q. Is it OK to drive with my learner's permit in another state?
A. In most cases, you are permitted to drive in other states as long as you are supervised by someone 25 years of age or older with a valid California license, sitting in the front passenger seat. However, you should check the driving rules in each state you wish to drive in.

Q. With my learner's permit can I drive with my friends in the car? 
A. Yes, as long as you are driving with someone supervising you, who is 25 years of age or older with a valid California driver's license.

Q. Do I always have to carry my learner's permit?
A. Only if you are driving.

Q. If I fail my learner's permit test, do I have to pay another fee?
A. No, you are entitled to three tries, but you will be required to wait one week between attempts.

Q. If I lose my learner's permit, will I have to pay for a new one?

A. As of 2005, you may obtain a copy from your local DMV at no extra charge but DMV rules may have changed since then, call them to verify.

Q. With my learner's permit there is an additional form which requires someone to sign verifying that I have had practice driving time in addition to the 6 hours of required training with the instructor. Who has to sign it?
A. Your parents or whoever gave you the additional practice time.

Q. Is it OK to drive with a learner's permit after dark?
A. You may drive anytime day or night as long as you are supervised by a licensed driver 25 years of age or older, in the front passenger seat.

Q. When I'm driving with a learner's permit, does the licensed driver supervising me have any rules or restrictions?
A. The licensed driver must be in the front seat of the vehicle, sober and awake, and able to control the car in an emergency.

Q. Can I ride a motorcycle or motor scooter on a public surface street with my Class C learner’s permit?
A. It is illegal to ride a motorcycle even in a parking lot without a motorcycle learner’s permit or license. If you do, you may be cited and have your motorcycle impounded (private property or gated property does not apply).

Q. Can I take my DRIVING LESSONS in my mom’s car?
A. NO. All of the first 6 hours of driving lessons must be provided by a licensed driving instructor in a dual-controlled training vehicle.

Q. If I am stopped by a police officer, who gets the ticket, me or the supervising party? 
A. Any moving violations issued by a police officer will apply to the driving record of the driver, even if they only have a learner’s permit.

Q. If my learner’s permit expires; do I have to retake the driver’s education course? 
A. NO, but you will be required to submit a new application, pay a fee, and also retake the written and eye tests.

Q. With a learner’s permit, is it legal to drive a large truck? 
A. YES, but only up to 26,000 gross vehicle weight. Not for hire (no air brakes).

Q. Can I drive anybody’s vehicle as long as I have someone with me who is 25 years of age with a valid California license? 
A. MAYBE. First, you must have your parent’s permission and vehicle owner’s permission to drive the car. Second, the vehicle must be currently insured, the vehicle is under 26,001 pounds, and does not have air brakes.

Q. How old must I be to start taking driver education (classroom or on-line).
A. Legally there is no age requirement for driver education.
Back to Top